The BSOD strikes again!!!


Users of Microsoft's (in)famous operating system, named after the architectural structure that allows you to see through walls, are probably no stranger to the white text on blue background as depicted in the screen shot above.

Affectionately known as the "Blue Screen Of Death" or BSOD, though informally to many it would probably go by some other creative acronym that would not be appropriate to post here in my family-friendly blog! :)

Well, it's not really a screen shot, since at that moment in time, my PC decided to take a break and leave me wondering in the next couple of minutes if there was anything I was doing that I haven't "saved" yet. Luckily, I have my Panasonic Lumix handy for moments like these!

This was not the first, second or even third time. I reckon it was likely the sixth time in 2 years.

This being the standard corporate-issued laptop, the supplier's customer service replied promptly upon receiving the mini-dump file extracted from the deep recesses of my PC's system folders. Sadly, to date, no one has yet to pin point the exact root cause for this.

As the computers these days have grown vastly more complex, there was as much a possibility of this being caused by Software as it might be by Hardware. For the inquisitive who really would like to know, the Operating System that I'm running on is not the latest one (just replaced by version "7"). As for Hardware, my laptop manufacturer's name, by shear coincidence, sounds like "Hell" - if you can't guess after that clue, take a closer look at the photo and you will see it somewhere on the bottom center.... :)

Well, thankfully, though it happened in the middle of a working day, as far as I can tell after the recovery, there were no open, unsaved files at that time. The last thing I remember doing was clicking on the Search button of my E-mail Client.

So, until the problem is finally resolved (which I have no way of verifying, since I can't consistently reproduce this phenomena), I'll have to get myself into the habit of constantly saving important files after each milestone entry. I hope that the customer support people figure out what is causing this soon, so that I can have some peace of mind at last!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts