IR-modified D70 test shots

After seeing the potential of the D70 when coupled with an R72 Hoya infrared filter, I've decided to take it one step further. My D70 has thus been modified into an infrared-only camera - and I'm having no regrets!


While browsing the Photomalaysia forum, I came across an individual who goes by the nick "FIREWORMS". He's an adept IR photographer himself, and also offers his services to modify DSLR's by swapping out the default hot mirror with an IR-pass piece of glass. This effectively renders the DSLR "blind" to wavelengths of light roughly 650nm and below (that's visible light to you and me). At the same time, the wavelengths above 650nm, that is, red and extension into the infrared zone, are no longer blocked, but can now be picked up by the DSLR sensor.

Turns out that Bro Fireworms was from Jakarta, but currently studying in the Multimedia University just outside my house, so meeting him was easy. I got my camera back on the same day, after just 2 hours!

Now, my previous experience taught me that I should leave my Tamron 17-50 at home, due to the occurrence of hot spots. So, this time, I paired my modified D70 with the 18-70 Nikon kit lens.

One fine afternoon during lunch break, I drove down to the A Famosa Golf Resort for some test shots. The sun was high in the sky, hot as ever - perfect for IR shots!


Previously, I had to guess where to shoot, as the R72 effectively blocked out the viewfinder completely. Now, I saw through the lens as normal. Shutter speed was fast too, as now the camera did not need the long exposure times as before (since the hot mirror that was blocking the IR light was now gone).


Using the default IR white balance preset installed by Bro Fireworms (though this only matters if you shoot in JPG, in RAW white balance can easily be changed). Though he was kind enough to include 42 Mb worth of presets that would last me a lifetime!


I did try out the shots with the R72 screwed on. To my surprise, my D70 overexposed on the first shot - the photo was totally white. I had to dial in -5 EV before a useful image could be captured. The picture was visibly less saturated than without the R72.

So, for more striking "false-color" IR shots, I'd leave the R72 off.


My flow now consists of shooting in RAW and processing the Nikon NEF using Raw Therapee (a free RAW converter) which directly exports to the scaled down JPG's, and has many processing features, including the red blue channel swap and tone curve adjustment. Only downside to this freeware program is that it is very processor intensitive. So, I have to use my Dell D630 for picture processing (even then, noticeably slow).


Well, now my gear's working, have to focus on technique and content. Meanwhile, do check out my other test shots in my gallery over HERE.

Once again, a big thank you to Bro Fireworms (Arif) for widening the door to the world of IR photography!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts