A random act of kindness at the post office

Today, on the way to office, I dropped by the Air Keroh post office to do a friend a favour. Though it's a rarity these days, she had a Chinese New Year greeting card to post via snail mail. In these times, with the advent of e-mail and online social networking, most seasons greetings make their way across borders and vast distances via Cyberspace. Indeed, I heard that she did quite a bit of hunting before she chanced upon a place that still sells good old greeting cards. She didn't manage to get a stamp on the envelope though, so I'd have to take care of that bit as well.

I was barely through the gates of the post office when a middle aged gentleman approached me as offered me his number. This was the number that you get when you queue up for a service. I was a bit surprised, but managed to return a brief thank you to him as I went into the building. Inside, it was moderately packed, and the number I had in my hand was just up! In less than a minute, I was at the counter and managed to purchase a postage stamp.

Well, the postage rate for this season is RM0.50 nationwide, up to 31 Jan 2012. Going outside, I found a faucet in the courtyard and thus affixed the stamp before sending my friend's greeting card well on it's way. As a back up plan, I was going to use the water from my car wind screen washer, those of you, I know what you're thinking, please quash the thought...! :)

Don't really understand why the gentleman just now gave me his number, just as it was coming up, but I'm thankful as it really saved me a substantial amount of time.

I think that random acts of kindness are not common these days, but looks like today, among us still walk those who willingly give without expecting anything in return.

When was the last time you did something good for a complete stranger, out of sincerity without any udang di sebalik batu (Malay saying literally translated as "Prawn behind a rock", that means with a hidden reason or agenda)? Unfortunately, I can't recall the last time I did something significant (holding doors open for others don't strike me as very significant). How about you out there?

No need to post here if you think it's like tooting your own trumpet, but for what ever reason, do take the opportunity to do something nice for others if you have the means to do so. I am sure that the other party will be greatly appreciative of your random act of kindness....

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts