Puma 4x4 Club Anniversary + Charity Dinner 2012

The Puma 4x4 Club is a versatile group, equally at home be it in the remote jungles or formal dinner occasions. They recently celebrated it's 7th anniversary on 8 September 2012 by holding a charity dinner at the Lu Yen Yen Restaurant at Limbongan.

A bit of club history. The Puma 4x4 Club Melaka, was officially registered on 16 Jun 2005. The members were very active and soon, they got the attention of 4x4 enthusiasts from other states as well. As more and more members from out of Melaka were joining the club, the core committee took up the challenge to expand the scope of the club to the national level, and in 6 September 2009, the club was successfully upgraded to the Puma 4x4 Club Malaysia.

Planning for such an event was a daunting task. It took many meetings at the club house in Malim Jaya (opposite the Marco Exhaust shop), fueled by tireless commitment of the organizing team, as well as Tiger Beer.... :)
Tan Poh Huat (a.k.a. "Lau Tar"), Jackson Goh and the rest of the committee going over the minute details....
My last activity with them was at the Blood Donation drive at the 916 Hotel in Melaka Raya. As it was for a good cause, I got myself 4 seats and went together with my wife and kids. When we arrived, there were many empty tables awaiting the arrival of the dinner guests.

I almost had not time to eat, really, as I was helping to cover the event with my camera. It's always a challenge to figure out what was going on and to get into a good position to cover an event. Unlike in an open public event where you're with a pool of other photographers, for functions such as these, you're part of the photographic team. Therefore, strange as it may sound, I choose position myself where there are no other photographers. This is because I don't want the organizer to end up with what are essentially the same photos (taken from the same angle) from the different photographers. If everyone is the same, there's only need for one, so I always try to be different (in a positive way, of course).

The was of course the usual on-stage speeches by the VIP's. Not really a fan of local politics, I honestly declare that I only recognize one VIP, namely, Datuk Wira Gan Boon Leong, who was a former body builder and weighlifter. My father told me that he once pumped ironed with the Datuk in the gym back in their heydays. Even though he (the Datuk, not my father) is now 75 years old, he still has a very strong grip, as I recalled when I got the chance to shake his hand.

The dinner was officially opened that night with the ceremonious beating of the gongs by the VIP's on stage. The dinner guests were entertained by martial arts performances as well as guitar and singing. The entire event was recorded and projected onto a large screen on the left side of the main stage, so even those sitting right at the back could see what was going on. And it was a really long way to the far end of the hall - there were 100 tables set up that day, seems to be even larger than the hall at the Equatorial Hotel (area-wise not counting the height).

My son, Christopher, was quite active and roaming about the hall like his usual self, but as soon as the activities got started, miraculously he managed to keep still at the table. Now, I had with me my trusty SB800 flash, but to get natural looking photos, it remained in my pocket for most of the evening. Yes, I have large pockets, or rather, when in photographer-mode, I dress functionally - the more pockets, the better.

Perhaps it's the 100Plus drink that did the trick...?
The expenditure for the dinner came from the sale of tickets and sponsors, and some committees took it upon themselves to sponsors certain costs as well. All in the name of charity. The proceeds were donated to some of the local charities on stage. No mock cheques this year, though....

Towards the end of the night, the VIP's and sponsors were given a token of appreciation up on stage. At that point, there was not much more going on, so I decided to avoid the traffic jam and left with my family for home.

All in all, a great event put together with the hard work and dedication from the Puma committee. May they continue to have many more great successful events both in the jungle and back in civilization! :)

This duet act from KL. To be honest, the guy was doing most of the singing.

Datuk Wira Gan Boon Leong with the rest of the VIP's on stage for the opening ceremony.

Martial arts display in progress. Real or not, those *swords* are really dangerous.

If you're familiar with Chinese culture, you'll know that they are all shouting "YAM SENG!!!".

Martial arts training starts at a young age. The next Michelle Yeoh in the making?

A guitar duet on a shoestring budget. 2 talented girls + 1 guitar.

The guitar club brought to the event loads of talent to keep the diners entertained

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts