A family CNY dinner @ Nyonya Makko

It was time again for the Chinese New Year get-together. Relatives from Australia were in town, so we decided that a dinner was in order, and what better place to dine that at one of our favourite, old-time restaurants, Nyonya Makko in Melaka Raya.

Now, this place was the earliest Nyonya Restaurant that I came to know about, as far as I can remember. We had already come to know and patronize this establishment a long time ago, since I was just in school. Being half Baba Nyonya, the food here was quite compatible with my palate. Of course, there is no way they can match my grandmother's cooking, but they do manage to come in a close 2nd place...! :)

Actually, I was here just a week ago, with a some colleagues from work. Overall, thumbs up from everyone, so can't go wrong if you choose to dine here.

Location - Melaka Raya. Here's a snapshot of Google Maps, where this place is also listed:-


You can get more information about this place from their website at http://www.makkonyonya.com.my/main.html

The restaurant has been in its present corner-lot location since day one, and little much has changed over the years. I believe that many years ago, it was slightly smaller, until there was some renovations to increase the number of dining tables. The restaurant is fully air-conditioned, so it's very comfortable inside (some might say too cold, varies according to individuals). Good news to me, as this means "no smoking". The interior is nicely decorated with old photos and paraphernalia unique to the Baba Nyonya culture, like the iconic Bakul Siah.

There are no pork dishes served here (therefore, not 100% like my grandma's cooking), but there is no "halal" certification. If you ever stop by this place, you simply must help yourself to the "cendol" desert, which is basically a mixture of finely shaved ice, red beans, santan (coconut milk), gula Melaka (palm sugar) and of course, cendol (green rice flour).

Food is reasonably priced, which, being a relative thing, all I can say is that it's comparable with the rest of the market. I'm happy that this place hasn't degenerated into a commercial, profit-oriented business. Will definitely continue to recommend and patronize Nyonya Makko. Just as my elders introduced me to this place at a young age, I now do the same for my kids, hope that they will also enjoy the unique Nyonya food and dessert at this establishment!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts