DIY fixing the Gear Shift Boot Cover on my Toyota Prado [FIXED]

Toyota is know for their high reliability and my Toyota Prado Land Cruiser has proven to be no exception to this rule. Of course, being a 22 year old car, some bits and pieces are bound to show signs of age (either that or the previous owner(s) did not have car care as their top priority). One such example was the gear shift boot cover, or rather the plastic clasps that held it in place.

Unfortunately, only 2 of these clasps remained intact, both on the left side of the hole. This was not enough to hold the gear shift boot cover in place, leaving it awkwardly in place, as you can see below:

Gear shift boot cover barely keeping the dust and other stuff from falling in....
I suppose that I could always super-glue the cover permanently in place, but I decided to keep it easily removable in case I chance upon a suitable replacement part somewhere in the used car market. Which I could not find up to now, in spite of searching online. Short of buying a half-cut, if anyone knows where I can get some parts, do contact me with the details.

First step was to unscrew the gear knobs, which was quite easy (luckily they were not screwed in too tightly or jammed in place). This was so I could remove the central console plastic as well as the gear shift boot cover:

Note the different sizes of threads - no risk of accidentally swapping the two knobs
With that done, it was a simple matter of carefully pulling the entire central console piece upwards. As you can see, no screws, plastic rivets or breakable pins, but 4 metal push-pins that I didn't have to worry about breaking:


As you can see, the two remaining clasps were quite small, and now to hold the gear shift boot cover in place on the other sides I stacked 4 layers of double sided tape (cut in half to form short thin strips in order to match the height, before pasting a strip of tape across the corners. I left the cover tape on as there was no point in leaving the under side sticky:



With that done, I carefully replaced the entire assembly, snapping snugly back in place and screwed the two gear knobs back on, taking care not to over-tighten them:

And that is what it's supposed to look like!
All in all, around 20 minutes spent - not a permanent / ultimate fix for my Toyota Prado gear shift boot cover, but rather a MacGyver solution which I hope will last (given the probability of finding replacement parts is quite low). Will leave it for a few days to see if it will hold....

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts