ESD training in Singapore


I was recently in Singapore for two days. As luck would have it, I managed to get approval from my GM to attend some training on Advanced ESD design (it’s an engineering thing that only fellow engineers seem to understand). On my way in, the second link to Singapore was empty, as the massive traffic jam was on the other side of the road (people who apparently worked in Singapore but resided in Johor). Though I think that on my way back, I will be stuck like them.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Park View, where the training was to be held. A decent establishment, in my humble opinion, having come here last year for training also.

I was a little under the weather, having a runny nose and a dry throat. Fortunately, it didn’t cause too much distractions, though I had to go to the bathroom to blow my nose many, many times.
My hotel’s just off Orchard Road. There was nothing going on here, though. If it were November / December, this is the time they’ll have their annual Christmas Light-up. Well, I’m not pushing my luck – just being here is already something to give thanks too.
My short time here, coupled with my lack of mobility due to less-than-optimal health, meant that I’m basically facing the walls of my hotel room whenever I’m not out at the training session. Hah, speaking of my hotel room. Due to some strange reason, the hotel was quite heavily booked. So, I got a room very, very far from the elevator. In fact, it’s the same distance whether I walked from the left or from the right of the elevator.

Well, at least I was very near the fire escape route, in case a quick evacuation is required….
Broadband does not come with the room, but is a added extra (chargeable). So, I actually typing this out first, for editing and posting later when I get back to Melaka. Not using any fancy offline blogging tool like w.bloggar or Windows Live Writer. Typing all this out in plain old MS Word (2003 version, not the confusing 2007 version).

Speaking of MS Word 2007, I’ve actually had a taste of it recently – never thought I’d see something rival Vista (I hope you know what I mean). I’m hoping that the interface is only confusing because I’m not used to it, since our IT may carry out a plant-wide migration if Corporate Policy decrees it.
Don’t feel too hungry on the second night – had my fill during lunch. The food here is expensive (the numbers are the same, though the currency different). Since the conversion rate from RM to SGD is now 2.5 or so, that means RM20 for a meal at Burger Kings! Sigh, our poor, poor Ringgit….

Though my company’s paying for this trip (food included), I just don’t feel that hungry….

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts