Weather-worn rear diffuser on my Honda Civic FD2

Years of exposure to the elements, almost daily baking under the hot sun (it's practically a land of eternal summer here in Melaka) and lack of shaded parking has taken its toll on the paint job of my Honda Civic FD2. Unlike corrosion, which is the biggest problem faced by cars in four-season countries like Germany (due to the use of salt to melt the snow and ice on the roads during winter), here we basically have to deal with the slow destruction of paint and plastics due to the effects of sunlight.

My rear diffuser is in quite bad shape. While it's structurally intact, the paint, or rather the clear coating has started to delaminate and peel off in large patchy areas. I've taken a photo below and did some photo contrast enhancement so it shows up better, but otherwise this is what it looks like.

The diffuser is not made of metal, so rusting is not a concern. However, once the upper clear coat is gone I worry the UV light may start to cause the plastic (possibly PU, but I'm not sure) to become brittle and crack. Well, since I'm getting my front windscreen repaired (due to the recent mishap which you can read more about over here), I'll take the opportunity to have it repainted. Now comes the question, should I repaint the entire car or just the diffuser? Given that it's hard to get exactly the same shade each time for metallic paint, it will definitely look odd and contrasting to the rest of the car. Of course, a full paint job will cost much more and take much longer - something to consider this close to Chinese New Year. Hmm, decisions, decisions....😟

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts