From Blogspot to Blogger to... [what next?]

When I first created my blog here, I name it "MCWK on blogspot.com", clear under-utilization of creative thinking. To this day, the site remains with its created URL of marvinchong.blogspot.com (again, did not exercise right side of my large grey matter). Heh, heh - with such an unimaginative name like that, no wonder I don't get much visitors...! :)

Originally, I started blogging on Multiply.com, the very early social network that I like to think of as "the One who could have been Facebook today, instead of Facebook". (but more on my thoughts on this in another post). Anyway, a social network which none of your friends are on, no matter how good, will probably not appeal to you. Hope that Google Plus doesn't go the same way...!

Any friends out there who are also on Multiply? Hope we can connect there too. Haha, just in case, the threat to FB from hackers actually becomes a reality : http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/social.media/08/09/anonymous.facebook/index.html

Just a quick recap on why I started blogging.

Primarily, I have always prided myself on keeping abreast with ongoing IT developments and trends. Having missed the IRC boat (didn't have a proper internet back then), I made up my mind, at least if I don't continue doing it, I should at least start up a blog to experience first hand, what it is all about. And strike off one more reason to be called a "dinosaur" off my profile...! :)

What to blog about? Well, at the beginning, and still holding true today, my interests have been:-
  • Cars (especially, my then-new Honda Civic FD2)
  • Photography (Nikon DSLR user, probably for life)
  • GPS (opened up a whole new world, or rather, to places which I could never find my way to before)
  • Events (Family / Company / Clubs, anything not private, too personal and not company confidential)
  • Philosophy (I'm not a philosopher, but I come across wise words and teachings from time to time, that I'd like to share with my friends and anyone who cares to follow my blog).
Well, I've always thought of my blog as my own personal journal and life story, so it might appeal more to my friends and colleagues rather than the general Internet populace. Still, my recent in-depth involvement with photography and car clubs such as the 8GCC (Eight Gen Civic Club) have allowed me to discover some interesting things from time to time, that I would also like to share with my small readership.

As most of my time is taken up by work and for family matters, I can't deny that the frequency of my postings have been on the decline as of late, as I mentioned in my post on my great blog backlog. Ah, well....

Anyway, as I'm still blogging (latest one to date at the time of this writing being, of course, this post you're reading right now), the news that Google will retire the Blogger brand and rename it to Google Blogs of course caught my attention.

Link to online sources confirming this is on the Mashable site : http://mashable.com/2011/07/05/google-blogger-picasa-rebranding/

Google launched it's own social network not long ago, Google Plus / Google+, so I guess this exercise is to rebrand all it's services to somehow include the "Google" keyword in the the name.

Well, when this happens, I'm not sure if they will leave intact the "blogspot", which happens to be the middle name of my marvinchong.blogspot.com website URL, or if they will initiate a change to something else. It would be a real pain if they did that, not only to me, but to other "blogspot" users as well. Besides having now to think up of a new name for my blog, I'll have to take care about any links from external sources to my posts. If that really happens, at least I still have Multiply as the "contingency plan"....

Let's see how it goes in the weeks to come - I'm sure the giant Google will be rolling out the changes to Blogger and other acquired services soon!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts