New hardware required

Well, they just don't make things like they used to. During a recent thunderstorm, I discovered that the power adapter of my ADSL model was not functioning. Upon closer inspection, found this:


Well, since my wireless router was useless without the ADSL modem (which was useless without a power adapter), decided to get an integrated solution from the nearby computer store. Eventually, I got myself a brand new wireless router + ADSL modem from the Stygix store which was just 15 minutes walk from my place. Installing it was easy, but getting connected to Streamyx once again proved challenging. The old ADSL didn't have that many settings, and now there were a few unfamiliar parameters when configuring the new one. After a few days (unsuccessful), I managed to google the solution from my office - turns out that the default settings weren't compatible with Streamyx. After changing just 1 value, the long severed connections to the internet were thus restored!

Don't blame it on the hardware (my networking gear is exclusively from DLINK). When lightning strikes, there's really nothing that can be done. The strike also fried my alarm system, which required a change in both control panels! Good thing everything else is still functioning.

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts