Happy New Year 2008

Well, it seemed like a very short year, but 2007 is now officially history. This year, it seemed a little "anti-climax"-like, as I spent my new year's eve sitting home alone with my two dogs while the rest of the world was out counting down the final seconds of the year.

To tell you the truth, I was sitting at home watching some shows on ASTRO - they're not new. Just that I haven't actually gone to the Cinema to see them. First show - "Take the Lead" starring Antonio Banderas. This wasn't an action flick, as in this show, he plays a dance instructor. Yep, it's one of those dancing shows (like the other one with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez). I'm quite interested in ballroom dancing, having undergone some weeks of basic training organized by my company (before they finally decided to pull the plug due to insufficient response....).

Well, after that was Mission Impossible III (starring Tom Cruise). It was somewhere towards the end of this show, that my cuckoo clock started going "cuckoo" at midnight. Heh, heh - actually, by the time I realised it it was 12.15am, 1 Jan 2007 already!

Right after that was X-Men III : The Last Stand, which I also did not manage to catch while it was showing in the local cinema. A bit shocking that some of the key characters got killed off (I won't spoil the plot for you if you are worse than me and haven't watched it yet). I guess its very unlikely there'll be an X-Men IV....

It's also during these times that my friends fire off a barrage of SMS's, which is meant to bring joy and happiness (especially to the local telecos, no doubt).

I've so far received 13 SMS's. Among those that stand out:-

"Happy New Year! I need 2 SMS to many beautiful friends, relatives, so I thought I'd better start with the good-looking, smart and nice ones first. Wishing you and family good health, properity, harmony, peace and joy throughout the New Year 2008."

"My wishes for you, great start for Jan, love for Feb, peace for March, no worries for April, fun for May, low for Jun to Nov, happiness for Dec, have a luck and wonderful 2008"

"Before the year ends, before the battery goes dead, before the operators get busy, before the SMS jam up, wish you all the best 2007 and happy new year 2008!"

Well, with all encouragement, my new year resolutions:-
  1. Focus more on Family, instead of tunnel-vision on Career
  2. Exercise regularly and maintain healthy eating habits
  3. Drive sensibly and responsibly for safety and ultimate fuel economy
  4. More support for 8GCC and TVCM!!!
Of course, not all SMS's were useful. Every year, almost certainly get the "petrol price going up by XX sen, do fill up your petrol tanks tonight!". The way I see it:-

A. You won't save much. Assuming you just happen to have a car with an empty tank, which you can fill 50 liters of petrol. A price hike of, say, RM0.40 would cost an additional 50 x 0.40 = RM20.00. That's a one time saving, of course. Now, consider the hassle of queuing up at the petrol station with all the thrifty folks, out in the cold in the middle of the night, when you can be sitting at home watching TV in the comfort of your living room. To think about it for awhile, fuel prices are set based on government subsidy.

B. If the Government ever decides to annouce the price hike early, most likely the petrol station operators, whose underground reserves are filled with pre-price hike petrol, will just close shop temporarily and go on a holiday, only to open up again after the *NEW* price has been imposed, and rack up a healthy profit by doing so. Hence, the only ones who stand to lose are really the people.

C. Petrol prices are low and stable here because they are subsidized by the taxpayers money. Since everyone gets the benefit of the subsidy, it looks like the ones who pay more tax are actually getting short-changed. If you ask me, I think we should just abolish all fuel subsidy, but reduce the tax rate as well, so that you pay as you use, but get to keep more of your earnings....

Well, not to put a damper on the festive mood, here's wishing everyone a Happy and Prosperous New Year - may realize your dreams and aspirations (or at least inch one step closer to accomplishment)!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts