Maximizing fuel economy via "Hypermilling"

The latest catch phrase in the world of automotive fuel economy - "Hypermilling". Basically, this is the term used for one of the fuel economy maximizing behaviors, seems the term originates from US. In Europe, they use a less flashy term - ecodriving.

Anyway, through modifying driving behavior, you can actually get equal or better than the manufacturers' fuel economy specs.

Some links to follow:

http://forum.ecomodder.com/ - A forum for economical drivers

http://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_economy-maximizing_behaviors

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/120880/article.html

Anyway, please note that some of these methods are not very safe (example, following closely behind a large truck), cannot be used on a car with automatic transmission (coasting for long distances), and may need to take into account local driver's mentality (you will get blasted by horns here in Malaysia).

Some tips that I practice:-

- Clean junk from your trunk - My trunk is usually empty. No point in carrying unneccesary weight around.

- Check tire inflation regularly - Since I refuel only every 3-4 weeks, I pump air into my tires around 5% higher than recommended.

- Track your fuel consumption - This I do meticulously, so I know my driving habits.

- Avoid peak traffic - Not so difficult, since my working hours are a little more flexible than normal. I get to work after the rush hour clears, and leave for home after the jam has dissipated too.

- Find/adopt a 'blocker' for slower freeway speeds - Excuse for driving slow, drive behind a bus / lorry. Caution, don't drive behind one that carries stones, or emits smoke / dust!

- Reduce speed - Recently I drove to KL with cruise control set at 96kph! It's get's you to your destination. A little slower than usual, but the fuel saving is great.

- Constant throttle position cruising - This is to minimize hysteresis loss. It's more efficient to drive at a constant speed rather than speed up, then slow down to the original speed.

- Cruise control - Leave the speed control to the computer. One thing is that you need to use this on level road, otherwise the cruise control will downshift and over-rev once you get to an incline. Also, hard to do this when there are many cars around.

- Make fuel economy a game/challenge - When you monitor your FC, take the km/l as your score. What's your record?

- Parking tactics: reverse in - Logic is that your car is least efficient when the engine is cold, so driving off is more efficient instead of having to reverse out and change directions.

- Automatic transmission: highest gear/lowest RPM for posted speed - This is dependent on the type of vehicle, gear ratios, etc.. My FD2 is apparently most efficient at ~2krpm or ~90kph.

- Minimize air conditioning use - Can't live without it, so I set the temperature control to 25% of the maximum, and use the fan speed to cool down. On my FD2, I set the temperature to 27/28 degrees.

Well, take your time to read, and try to change your driving habits for the better. Take note that although fuel saving is important, there are times where safety and other factors will need to take precedence. So, drive wisely...!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts