Inter-shift Badminton Tournament 2008


A group of loyal supporters / players / fans sitting on the sidelines
.

We recently had our inter-shift badminton tournament at the newly upgraded Batu Berendam Sports Complex (formerly known as the Batu Berendam Badminton Hall). The recent upgrade sees the addition of more badminton courts, as well as some futsal pitches as well. Looks like an alternative venue for future futsal tournaments, besides Sports Planet at Cheng.


Low-light photography challenges....


My role on the organizing team and as the designated (only) photographer meant that I had to be present for the entire event. Thankfully, taking photos meant that I was spared the task of being the umpire (something that I was not keen to do, since the scoring system of badminton has been revamped so much, to the point that I no longer am sure exactly how to count points anymore!).

The typical badminton hall is dimly lit with florescent lights. Bright enough to see the shuttlecock, but not too bright as to blind the players. For photography, it was really a challenge. Mounting my Sigma 30mm F1.4 and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, I managed to take some shots only with the ISO cranked up to 3200 and 6400. Anything less reduced the action to an indiscernible blur (no flash allowed, remember). Catch the photos over here.

Anyway, the tournament started ~9.00am, with players and fans as well as committee members taking turns as umpires and linesmen. The turnout was good, however, some over-ambitious players signed on for more than one category (singles, doubles and mixed doubles), which resulted in some delays in waiting for them to finish their ongoing matches. Not to mention allowing for some time to "recharge" between bouts.

We had lunch at the nearby roadside stall, opposite the Family store, then it was back to the hall for more badminton action. I did try to stroke awhile - though my foot injury still was not fully healed - resulting in my inability to return those out-of-reach shots....



Darkness engulfed the hall as we experienced an unexpected power outage.


There was a brief (1 hour) interrupting in play as a results of an unexpected power outage that literally left us standing in the dark. Fortunately, our preserverance paid off and when the power came back on, the tournament resumed.

All in all, we finished at roughly 5pm - enough time for me to proceed with my CMC TT!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts