Omron Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor

What did I get for the holidays? Well, there was a promotion at Guardian, so I managed to get a good deal on an Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor. The one that I got was an Omron, Model SEM-2.

Knowing my own physical state of health from my recent attempt in the Healthy Lifestyle Relay, I believe that it's best to focus on health for a happy and long, long life!

With this, I can not only measure my own BP and heartrate, but also for those in my family as well. In my family, no one has any cases of hypertension so far, but it's always advisable to check regularly.

I'm now exercising fairly often, so after establishing my baseline measurements, I'd like to see if there will be any improvements in the long run. Hmm, must be my nature as an engineer to monitor and optimize processes....

This unit is capable of storing measurement in its built in memory, and will average out up to 3 readings taken within a 10 minute timespan. This can be done since there is some variation between readings, even those taken consecutively. The process of self-administered testing is quite simple actually:-

Step 1: Find here the arm strap (left) and the monitoring unit(right).

Step 2: Following instructions on the arm strap, attach to left bicep and rest arm so that the position of the strap is at the same level with your heart.

Step 3: Relax, take a deep breath and press the Start / Stop button.

Step 4: You will hear a soft vibrating sound as the unit comes to life, inflating air into the arm strap that will slowly tighten. Don't panic, and try not to talk. It'll be over in a few seconds.

Step 5: Once the Systolic, Diastolic and Pulse readings are obtained, the arm strap will self deflate, and the measurements will be displayed on the screen.

Simple as that. Note that this will not replace your regular visit to the physician, but serves as an early indication if there is any abnormality in your blood pressure / pulse.

Well, now to get busy exercising to see if there is any improvement...!

2 comments:

Nitrile Gloves said...

Omron blood pressure monitors can be useful for the chronic hypertensive patients. These are electronic machines that make life much easier.

adult washcloths

Marvin Chong said...

Yes. It's much easier to use than the traditional mercury blood pressure monitor (the one which doctors use, with hand pump and stethoscope). Though I hear that is more accurate, it's fairly complicated and difficult to operate. So, these automatic blood pressure monitors are a good solution for us ordinary people.

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts