A visit to the Alokarama Meditation Center on Christmas Day


It was Christmas day, and what did I do? Pay a visit to the Alokarama Meditation Center.

The meditation center is situated in Asahan. Technically, it still in Melaka, though it's at the border of 3 states - Melaka, Negeri Sembilan and Johor. To get to the place, you have to turn off the main road and take a small dirt trail for around a kilometer before you finally arrive at the gate. It's a pretty low key place - no fancy big signpost or even a tiny little one to mark itself on the map. You'll have to know that you're coming here, otherwise, you'd never have guessed.

Being situated in a relatively remote situation, the place was really quiet and peaceful - ideal for its role as a meditation center and retreat.

I brought along my wife and also my grandparents, who, interestingly enough are related to the Spiritual Advisor, Venerable Mahinda, who was also based in Australia, but comes to Malaysia from time to time. We brought along some red bean soup to offer as Dana to the Yogis.

It took us around an hour to get there, distance was roughly 50km, but the road was quite windy (my grandmother was a little queasy with motion sickness, so we went along slowly). My grandmother also didn't feel too comfortable in my Civic (pre-Koni FSD), so we used my wife's Vios for this trip.

The Alokarama meditation center was actually built in what appears to be an orchard. There were many fruit trees, including the infamous durian tree (you don't want to be caught with one of those falling on your car, or worse, on your head!).

This is the shrine. There are other buildings around like the meditation hall, kitchen, etc..


 
Plenty of parking over here, just don't park under a durian tree....

Due to my rush in getting up and out of the house, I brought along my full DSLR camera kit, minus my memory card. So, have to fall back on my Sony Ericsson W810i for photos....

One word of advice, do plan your trip here accordingly. As I mentioned before, you need to traverse a 1km dirt road, so if you ever go there after it rains....

 
It's gonna take some effort to get those front tires clean again


 
And more back-breaking effort getting those read wheels cleaned too!

No comments:

150,000km Preventive Maintenance Service @ GS Tay Honda Muar

It's been awhile since my last such posting. Just because I don't write about it doesn't mean I don't do my preventive maint...

Popular Posts